Thursday, June 3, 2010

Not in Vain

I started reading a book last night. I know you're probably thinking 'when on earth does this woman have time to read!'. The answer is never really. But I think this book is important and it will be helpful to me and us now and in the future. Its called "Cystic Fibrosis: A Guide for Patient and Family". When we found out that Drew had CF, the care center provided us with a small book called "Cystic Fibrosis: An Introduction for Patient and Family" that goes over everything at a high level. This book goes into detail, and although I've only managed to make it through Chapter 1, it seems to do so in a way that is easy to understand.

There is a paragraph in the preface that convinced me that I should continue reading. Here's what it says:
"I've tried to stress throughout this book that cystic fibrosis is a serious disease, yet one that can be effectively controlled for long periods of time in most patients. It is a life-shortening disease, yet it is also one in which the outlook for patients' length and quality of life has improved dramatically in a relatively short time and continues to do so. It is a disease for which there is currently no cure, yet it is one for which treatment is very effective. It is a disease that creates demands on patients and families for daily treatments; it is also one in which the efforts of patients and families can greatly influence the health and quality of life of the patient. It is a disease that is commonly accepted as inhibiting normal life, yet the reality is that most patients go to school, play sports, and grow up accomplishing all the tasks, and experience all the joys and sorrows of childhood, adolescence and young adulthood."

So while I may complain or be frustrated by all of the care, and all that is affected by the care of Drew everyday, I know that it is not in vain. We are helping him to live the healthy and normal life that he deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment