Saturday, August 28, 2010

8:57

That's what time I went to bed last night. Kids went to bed. I got a shower. Then I went to sleep.

This was my first week without a mom in town to help me and I think it went exceptionally well! All kids are still alive and the house is still standing. I consider that a success. It was a lot of work and I was exhausted by Friday (hence the 8:57 bedtime) but I think we're gonna be just fine. Now, my house probably won't win "cleanest house on the block" anytime soon, but I'm okay with that.

Drew's got something new going on. I don't know what it is, but naturally, it worries me. He got this new, deep cough on like Tuesday or Wednesday. I called the doc and they decided to try him on a new medicine called Atrovent to see if it would help to open his airways and help him clear whatever is causing this new cough. So we tried it for a few days and now he has completely lost his voice. Its so sad to hear when he cries, this very faint little squeak coming from him. I called the Pulmonary doctor on call at the hospital to talk to him about it. He said that it sounds like hes got some swelling thats causing the hoarseness, probably from all the coughing. He doesn't think that the Atrovent would cause hoarseness but he said if it wasn't helping that we should discontinue. We gave him some Motrin to try to help with the inflammation/swelling and are supposed to call back tomorrow and give an update. He just seems to be breathing a little heavy and struggling to catch his breath. Its hard to watch a baby in distress. But his demeanor remains calm and happy. So we shall see.

Ella is scheduled to get her cast off on Friday! They will take it off and xray to see if its healed (please dear God let it be healed!). If shes better then we are done. If not, we get a new cast for 4 more weeks. Unfortunately she can't start preschool until she can walk so I'm really really hoping that shes better.

Drew and Lily are 5.5mo and are starting to sit. I love this age because they do really cute, fun things but they still can't move. Baby food starts soon. I'm going to make it myself this time for 2 reasons. The first is that Drew will need higher calorie than they sell in the store, so rather than buying that and modifying it I can just beef up the calorie content of the stuff I make. And second is that it will be cheaper. One healthy baby alone costs a lot of money. Two is just unbelievable; the number of diapers, the canisters of formula, the extra everything (high chair, carseat, etc, etc, etc) and pile on top of that copays and medications. Sheesh!

Hopefully this new cough turns out to be nothing but I'm not optimistic. I just wish we could catch a break (not literally!) and have a healthy baby boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment