Monday, March 21, 2011

Please understand where I'm coming from

I've been struggling lately with my feelings on my fundraising efforts. I want to raise more. I want to do more. I owe Drew all that I've got. But I don't want to get on your nerves; that's not what its all about. Here's where I'm coming from...
The science for a cure is there. There are people bright enough and smart enough that have figured out exactly what Cystic Fibrosis is and does and what exactly needs to happen to cure it, or at least stop it in its tracks. So many conditions and diseases receive support from our government. Cystic Fibrosis does not. Its my job, as his mom, to raise that money. Here's the problem - when people look at Drew, they see a happy & healthy little boy. He looks healthy on the outside, but he is fighting a fatal and progressive disease that affects his lungs and digestive system. He is not healthy. Everyday we spend hours giving him breathing treatments so that he can breathe like you and me. Everyday we spend hours clearing his airways by hooking him up to a machine that compresses and vibrates against his chest to shake loose the mucus. Drew cannot have a sippy cup of milk without first taking a special medication that helps with his digestion. Every time he eats or drinks anything, he must first have his enzymes. He is on 6 different medications that he takes multiple times a day. We see his pulmonary doctors every month, sometimes more. He's been in the operating room more times than I can count, with 4 major surgeries under his belt and at least half a dozen bronchoscopies.
How can I not want something different for my son? How can I not ask you to donate to our cause? How can I not invite you to participate in every event that comes down that pike benefiting the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation? I know that not everyone will be able to participate in everything that I post on Facebook or email you about. I do understand that people have other causes that they support. But that doesn't mean that I won't ask. I have to ask. You have to understand. I don't want my friends to think I'm being pushy. I promise you that I do understand if you are unable to help us. All I ask is for your consideration. I'm in a race against time, against Cystic Fibrosis, to save my son's life. If it were your son I'm sure that you'd do the same.
Help us if you can.
  • Spread the word!! Share Drew's video. Here's the link: http://66roses.blogspot.com/2011/01/doin-it-for-drew.html
  • Donate to our Great Strides team by clicking HERE. If you can only spare $5, we will appreciate your $5. If you can spare $500, we will appreciate that too.
  • WALK WITH US!! Click on that link above that says HERE and join our team
  • Hold a fundraiser for us! I know lots of creative people. Surely some of you can come up with some creative way to raise some money to help us.
  • Sign up to walk with us in a city near you. Here is the link to a list of cities that Team Doin' It For Drew is walking in, as well as a link to find a walk in a city near you:http://66roses.blogspot.com/p/great-strides.html
  • Ask your company if they are willing to support Cystic Fibrosis by offering matching gifts on donations, or by making a corporate donation. You never know how many people you can reach until you ask. The worst they can say is no.
  • Become an Advocate for CF. It takes but a moment of your time to send a pre-drafted letter to your congressman/woman, petitioning them to get federal support for Cystic Fibrosis. Imagine if we had government funding for research instead of just the money that I'm able to raise!! Click here to read more about becoming an advocate: BECOME AN ADVOCATE
  • Say a prayer for little Drew. He needs it. And if you have one to spare, I could probably use one too.
And I'm sorry if I'm bugging you. Please just try to understand where I'm coming from. And Thank You!!

No comments:

Post a Comment